Friday, August 31, 2012

Pros & Cons of Needle & Shuttle Tatting

My biggest struggle with tatting was getting my picots uniform.  Well I had some input from experienced tatters at the forum about cutting strips of paper and using this.  Well I just did not see how that would work and be very tedious.  I was searching YouTube and stumbled across this video which shows you how a strip of paper, probably should say stock paper, something thick and and stable.  Of course after I watched, had one of those Ahhh Haaaa moments.  LOL
Video Here!

As promised here are my pros & cons of needle & shuttle tatting.  Remember this is from my own experience.

Needle Tatting Pros
  • The way the thread is held mimics the way I hold for crocheting which makes it easier and faster to put my stitches on the needle.
  • I can actually see how many stitches are on the needle.
  • I find hiding the ends are much easier.
Needle Tatting Cons
  • Working with a tail is very tedious and I spent more time untwisting the thread.
  • I am not very good at guessing how much I need for a project and could mean a lot more joins for larger projects
  • Once the stitches are off the needle, it is almost impossible to unpick the stitches if an error is made.

Shuttle Tatting Pros
  • You can wind more on a shuttle and not have to worry about working with a tail.
  • I find that my finished work lays flatter then my needle tatting work, not sure if this has something to do with the Shoe Lace Knot that is done after each ring or chain in needle tatting, and also something I may not be doing correctly.
  • Shuttles come in different sizes and I like the smaller ones.
  • Picking out wrong stitches are easier.
Shuttle Tatting Cons
  • I think for me was how you hold thread.  I felt awkward with the traditional way (pinching thread between thumb and pointer finger), but received some advice of holding thread between my thumb and index finger.  Which has helped and I think with more practice I can actually enjoy shuttle tatting more.
  • I find it hard to be able to see the stitches I have made, but once again with practice that will come.

So I have come to a conclusion.  I prefer shuttle tatting over needle tatting.  Yea I know, I was all for needle tatting and I think for smaller projects I will use needle tatting.  But over all using the shuttle will be my method.  I really do encourage everyone to learn both methods.

Wanted to show you my shuttles.  Nothing fancy, as they all came from Hobby Lobby.  I got the large red one first, then the white one with the bobbin, then the green & orange one with out bobbins.  I like the last ones better.  I can wind more thread on those then the bobbin and they are small.
I am working on making my daughter a lanyard for her keys.  Pretty simple design that will be repeated on the other side too and joined to top picots.
 
I meant to publish this yesterday and just lost track.  On Thursday I meet a few ladies at Books A Million for our weekly knit/crochet meeting.


Feel free to leave comments.



1 comment:

  1. I think it's great that you gave both methods a try, and that you listed the pros and cons of each. At least you know that you are capable of using either method.

    If you don't like having plain shuttles, you can always bling them! That's another addiction of mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete