Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Shuttle Tatting Tips I have learned........



I decided at first that I wanted to learn how to tat with a needle.  Well my order is taking FOREVER to get here and I am getting IMPATIENT waitting.  Soooooo I thought okay why not learn how to shuttle tat, since I can get one at the local Hobby Lobby.  So I did.  No book just the internet and youtube.  Well what most websites and videos forget to tell you is that....

When a pattern calls for 1 shuttle and the pattern calls for rings and chains do not cut thread, leave it attached to the ball.  If the pattern is all rings, then you can cut the thread.  Received that great tip from The Tatting Forums.  Really nice people there willing to help when needed.

Ok now for the most important tip.  Flipping.  This was the hardest to figure out as to what they where talking about.  I just so happen to come across a website with large pictures and then it hit me.  OH OKAY that is what they are talking about.  I did come across a great youtube video that really shows you what FLIPPING is all about.

I hope this information helps and keeps you from pulling out your hair and banging your head against the wall.  I do have a little left.  :)

Oh almost forgot to tell you.  At Hobby Lobby they had a few shuttles to select from.  I picked up the Starlit Shuttle.  I find it rather big and wished I had picked up the smaller metal one.

Happy Tatting!

2 comments:

  1. It looks like you're off to a great start! I like the Starlit shuttles for hand-dyed thread. I can wind a full skein between the two shuttles and tat my favorite pattern, Spinning Wheel glass mat by Mary Konior, without having any extra ends to hide.

    My go-to shuttle is a Clover, mainly because they're inexpensive and small. I'm not a fan of the metal shuttles. I have a terrible time with getting the thread caught between the bobbin and the shuttle, and I've gotten some nasty black marks on my thread. Still, I know there are many fans of the metal shuttles. I guess every tatter has to find what works for her/him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am curious. For a newbie would you suggest shuttle like the Starlit or would you suggest one with a bobbin? I would like to try a smaller shuttle to see if that helps. I feel like I just can not get fingers spread enough for the shuttle to go threw. LOL

      Delete